Monday, November 29, 2010

Do we really know what we want?

So, last night after going to the Express’ weekly BBQ which was good, if your looking for something to do on Sunday I recommend you check it out. After the BBQ I decided that I was not done socializing so a friend and I went out to Teazers for some tea down in the Tower. While I was sitting there my friend tagged me on Facebook as being with him at the tea house. Almost instantly people started commenting on his post and we all bantered back and forth for awhile. We started by sitting in the far back and over the next 30 minutes we moved from table to table all the way from the far back of the house to the front. As we were sitting there a guy and his friend sat next to us. I noticed that he had a thin gold wedding band on and that there was an equality sticker on the back of his phone. I thought to myself WOW, he’s married how cool is that! Not less than a minute later I saw an orange screen on his iPhone... that’s not Grindr is it?!?!?!! I was almost positive that what I had saw. (sucks to be smart sometimes) So I download the app on my iPhone and fired it up. Sure enough 67 feet away from me was this guy (okay it was +/- 250 feet accuracy) he was more like 6 feet from me. Why was he on Grindr? Being only 6 or so feet from this guy I could not but over hear his conversation, his girlfriend says, “Do you do this all the time?” he responds, “I’ve only done it ONCE!” they laugh. He goes on to describe this guy that he’s got a good job, has a car, etc. I’m just shaking my head thinking what is this guy thinking? How can he be married, engaged or whatever he is to his boyfriend be on Grindr and looking to be with another man?

All this get’s me fired up because I don’t understand how people can be in a “committed” relationship with one another and bring others into their relationship, hide their relations with others or flat ass lie to their partners or boyfriends about them being with someone else. It seems to be something that is growing in popularity or something that I am just starting to notice more as of late. So it makes me question, “Do we really know what we want?” Everyone goes around saying they want to be in a relationship and then they get in one and no sooner then they are on Grindr, A4A, other other online services to see if the grass is greener on the other side? I just don’t get it and maybe I never will.

I know that some people have open relationships with their partners and I guess that works for them. It really used to turn me off when I met someone and found out that they were in an open relationship, but then I learned that you know what, I don’t have to deal with it, they choose that lifestyle not me. I guess with age I’ve learned to be more tolerant with people and rather than judge them I just accept them for who they are. Does not mean that I have to agree with them all the time.

Comment of the day....

No comments: